• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Epilepsy/Seizure

Samdog112004

Greenlighter
Hey, Long time lurker on blue light but first time poster.

I was Celebrating a friends birthday at this apartment. Had about 4 shots of vodka over 45 min period then smoked 6 bowls of chronic non-stop for about 20 min. Was feeling pretty good when all of a sudden I got the urge to throw up, once inside the bathroom I blacked out before reaching the John. Remember hitting head on wall/cabinet pretty hard on way down. Woke up to friends over me saying I was extremely pale (Color of white shirt) with blue/purple lips and large dark bags under my eyes well extensively sweating. After helping me up they say I had a large seizure and hit my head on the wall. Refused to go to ER
and sat down at table. They said after this I had 3 more minor seizures. I felt better in about 30 mins and had a friend drive me home. At that point I just felt high. Now the morning after and just feeling sorta hungover.

I don't really remember any of this besides the feeling of being extremely confused and barely being able to keep my eyes open.

I have been twisted many times before to a much greater extent without this ever happening.

Whats going on? Happen to anyone else? Advice for next time? Should I stop drinking/smoking?

(Mod: Don't know where this goes?)

This does not sound characteristic of weed alcohol or both combined. Did they give you an explanation at the hospital? Smoking alot of chron real quick will get your heart rate way up, but I've never heard of it causing seizures.

I did not end up going to the hospital man. Just sorta waited it out. I'm not on any other meds or anything.

you should go to a doctor and let them know what happened. having that many seizures over a short period of time is something to get checked out asap. seizures can really fuck up your brain, not to mention if you had one in water you could drown, or while driving you could crash, etc, etc.

the idea is to avoid a next time. find your triggers. alcohol is supposed to lower the seizure threshold.. not sure what the effects of pot are. be VERY careful using cocaine.

i get cross-faded pretty much anytime i'm going to ingest either of those two substances, never had anything like this happene to me.
had you taken anything else that day or even the day befpre? other than that, i can only think whatever you smoked was laced with something or there was something weird in those shots.
if i consumed as much alcohol as you had i would be puking my guts out too but i'm assuming you have a higher tolerance than i do :) smoking too much weed has made me feel really naesous at times, and alcohol as well, so you may have just taken too much of one (or both). also, if you don't normally mix the two, your body may have just been confused?
but seizures are a pretty serious result so i would say lay off the mixing of the two. and go to the hospital.

Never had anything like that happen to me and I was a daily alcohol and cannabis user for years. I'd get it checked out. At the very least stay away from any substance that lowers the seizure threshold from now on.

yo G, i have epilepsy

im no dr

but maybe it was the lighting in the room

flourescent lights are known to cause seizures
maybe there was a tv show on that was real flashy

good luck with it all

if you have insurance
get an eeg done

if you dont have insurance
apply for charity care

you may loose your licence for a few months

Only think I can think of is I took 50mg of Anitriptyline a week before this incident. I was told it was morphine but later found it was Anitriptyline. Besides that. No pills of anything. No OTCs. No Vitamins.

Weed and alcohol would seem like the 'lowest level' drugs but when they're combined the experience is extremely intense. Old saying I know, "Beer then Grass, you're on you're arse. Grass then Beer you're in the clear."

IME, if you smoke first you're in the clear cause you cant phsyically ingest as much alcohol as you otherwise would have been able to due to one of weed's effects. Getting wasted then smokin up'll put you on your arse cause the effect is hardcore, the most hardcore feeling I've experienced I reckon.

BUT more to the point of what caused your seziures..

I think it has something to do with GABA, a neurotransmitter that is responsible for smooth electronic activity throughout the brain and body. People with epilepsy have extremely low levels of GABA and thus why Valium, Tramadol and the like are helpful in these conditions, because they cause GABA to be released into the synapse. Now apparently weed lowers GABA (there's be so little research done on weed it's not funny), and alcohol also has an effect on GABA i think it potentiates it or lowers it further, or something, maybe both. On second thought I would say it would lower it further because potentiating it would raise the seizure thershold.

So pretty much weed and alcohol both lower GABA and in some cases so much that a seizure can occur, as it did.

That's what, i would have figured, happened.

Be careful when mixing the 2. Smoke until you are satisfied, that's how weed is supposed to be smoked. ;)

Take care! :)

If you don't notice any long-term effects from it I'd advise not going to the hospital...In my state you lose your license for a fucking year if you have a seizure, epilepsy or not. Not good for harm reduction, but fuck losing your license for something so stupid

Well the reason you seized could be anything from high blood pressure, to bleeding in your brain. But its not worth the risk of assuming its high blood pressure, get checked out seriously.

Thanks for the input everyone. This combo has been a favorite for a couple years but maybe its due for retirement.

Epilepsy

Sooo, I have epilepsy. I'm looking into non-medical holistic treatments. Also, if you have good recommendations on medications I'd like to hear. I've been on neurontin,tegretal,keppra,topomax,lamictal and klonopin. I've had terrible side effects and still have seizures. I'm currently on 900mg of neurontin and 2.5mg of xanax.

I'll post more info soon.

Epilepsy

^ I'm still having seizures on the the neurontin. I guess it makes sense, epileptics generally don't abuse drugs. Hmmmmmm. I'll post when im on computer.

My husband has a seizure disorder and has been on Dilantin for a couple years and has been seizure free since he started it. We haven't been able to find any "natural" health aides that we're comfortable using in substitution for his current meds.

^Very true. Most of the time a "seizure disorder" is just another phrase nicely put for epilepsy.

http://www.epilepsy.com

Is a great resource I've found.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epilepsy

I wasn't sure what forum to put this under so if it needs to be moved then by all means, move it.

Does anyone here have epilepsy, or do you know anyone close to you who has it? If so, how severe is it? Are you (or your family member/friend) able to control it with medicine? How has it changed you or your loved one's life? Have you ever been hurt while having a seizure?

I ask a lot of questions because the only other person I know who has epilepsy is my sister. She was more than likely born with hers but it didn't show until about age 18. Mine is the result of a head injury at 16 so I suppose we have a predisposition for it. Anyway, I have never seen anyone have a seizure before so I am completely oblivious to what it's like and I never remember any of my own seizures.

I will come back and write about it more later but I want to see what kind of discussion this may or may not garner because if it doesn't end up getting discussed, there's no reason for me to return and write a novel about my own issue :p

Also, I would LOVE to talk to anyone who has epilepsy. My sister and I don't really talk about it (mostly because she is always living out of the country or at least the other side of the country so when we do talk it's never about anything like that). I have never been able to discuss what it's like with anyone else before. If anyone here wants to talk about it, I would love to hear from you!

Seizure

So I had a seizure 3 days ago, and I was just wondering if any of my fellow bluelighters had any speculation on why it happened so here's a compressed timeline of what had been going on before-hand.

About three days prior to the incident I had gotten my check from work and payed off my rent. I had no money left over for the week so I wasn't eating much which I believe may have helped encourage the seizure. On the days leading up to the seizure I was attempting to quit smoking cigarettes(Success:D), the day before the seizure I consumed 45mg of oxycodone and mind you I have never had any seizure-like effects from oxycodone before but this may be what caused it, I also was not able to sleep at all until approximately 11:30am the day after the 45mg of oxycodone I had a seizure and was sent to the hospital for 3 days.

I was sent home with nothing more than a useless prescription to Buspar and a 24 hour heart monitor. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I got absolutely no answer from my doctors at all.

Edit: Something I've been able to gather from what I believe to be previous lesser seizures are that they have had marijuana and alcohol involved and/or combined at some point or another. At first I thought this was the first seizure that I'd had until I looked back at previous times when I believed I had just passed out rather than had a seizure from this combination. Does anyone have any speculation about this? I'd really like an educated opinion on this because it seems the doctors in my area aren't very bright.

Last edited:
Yes, I have a very extensive history of drug usage. It does not happen every single time I combine the two and it doesn't happen immediately after I smoke while drunk either, it tends to happen whenever the night is winding down, or in this case when the sun was coming up (I was dead sober when this incident happened)

Sorry to double post but I feel the need to bump the topic, I'd like some responses here